As the weather gets warmer and spring gets into full swing, now is the time to start thinking about spring cleaning and what needs some TLC around your home. While this often entails tidying up the yard or cleaning out your garage, don’t forget to consider what spring cleaning items need to be added to your checklist for home security. Maybe to your surprise, proper upkeep and maintenance play a crucial role in your home’s security functioning as it should.
Learn more about what things you should remember this spring in that department.
Outdoor Security Cleanup
Home security starts with your property’s exterior. The exterior of your home is the first line of defense against potential intruders or burglars and often gets the dirtiest without regular cleaning and maintenance. It’s essential to have a solid outdoor security measure in place.
Consider the following tips when giving your exterior a spring cleaning refresh:
- Check all lighting around the outside of your home. This means double-checking all bulbs and batteries in case you need to put in replacements.
- Ensure your home’s address is clearly displayed from the front of the property. This could be on the curb, your mailbox, or the front of your home and ensures your home is clearly visible to first responders in case of an emergency.
- Examine all outdoor security cameras and ensure they’re functioning correctly. Clean all camera lenses with a soft cloth and tighten all mounts so they stay in place.
- Maintain your home’s landscaping. This includes trimming back bushes and keeping shrubs manicured to eliminate potential hiding spots for intruders.
- Lock down your shed. Securing your shed is an important aspect of home security that is often overlooked. Sheds generally contain valuable items such as tools, lawnmowers, and bicycles, making them an attractive target for thieves.
Indoor Security Cleanup
Once you’ve secured your home’s exterior, it’s time to prioritize the inside. Indoor home security measures are crucial for maintaining the safety and security of your home and loved ones. This spring cleaning task should never be overlooked.
Be sure to consider these areas when evaluating your indoor home security:
- Inspect your locks. Locks are one of the most effective deterrents against burglars. Check all your locks to ensure they’re in good working order, and replace any damaged or faulty ones.
- Examine Your Doors. While you’re inspecting locks, it’s also important to examine your doors. Check for signs of wear and tear, and replace any damaged or with gaps around the edges. Make sure the hinges are secure and not loose, as this can make it easier for someone to kick in the door.
- Check all windows. It’s important to inspect all the windows throughout your home. If any locks seem loose, tighten or replace them.
- Clean security equipment. This includes all camera lenses and light fixtures. Not only will you be able to see clearer, dust and dirt can cause equipment to malfunction in the future.
- Clear fireplaces. If you have a wood fireplace in your home, discard any ash, and clean the grate thoroughly. We also recommend hiring a professional to clean your chimney, as excess debris is a fire hazard and puts your home and family at risk.
- Replace batteries on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Check the batteries for all sensors and replace them as needed. Then, test all detectors by pressing and holding the test button.
Test Your Home Security System
After you’ve cleaned and inspected your home security features, it’s time to test your system. Testing your home security system ensures it’s functioning properly and providing the protection you need. In addition, regular testing can help you identify any issues or malfunctions in the system, such as dead batteries or faulty sensors, before they become a problem.
It also allows you to test different system components, such as the alarms and motion detectors, to ensure they are working correctly. In addition, testing your security system can help you become more familiar with how it works, and help you identify any areas that may need additional security measures.
Get your spring home security in check with Advantage
If you need help protecting your home, our friendly technicians at Advantage Security can help you find the solution you need. For more information about Advantage Security and the security solutions we provide, feel free to contact us today.